Follow by Email

About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Oct 28, 2012

My Scheduled C-Section

I found out 4 weeks ago that I may need a C-Section to deliver my sweet boy. I went in that day for my regular OB appointment with my only question being "With me having gestational diabetes, what are the chances of me delivering early?" With that question, was a lengthy discussion with my doctor. Ty is already measuring big for 2 reasons: I have GD and my husband was a big baby. He weighed 8lb 9oz and was 3 weeks early! My poor MIL. <3 Throughout the discussion, My Dr. gave me the scenario of if I delivered vaginally what some risks, current and later on, that I and/or Ty could endure. He also said, ultimately the section is my decision. But he of course recommended the section. I have a very small pelvic area, and with Ty growing at the rate he is growing, and the size of his head already (in a previous post), it could possibly cause fetal stress and hours of labor. My blood pressure then becomes and issue, which can be very dangerous for Ty.  If I am able to have him, I may have issues later on.  This was new to me. Issues later on? Well after talking to a sweet friend of mine, I have found that she, in fact, is having these issues after delivering her large baby.  Her child is almost 8 and she is having bladder problems, etc.

After discussing this with him, I called my husband in tears. I mean, isn't it every mom's dream to have her baby the way she always envisioned it? However, after calming down, speaking with him and our mothers, I have come to the decision that this is definitely the best choice for Ty and me.  We will be in a completely controlled environment, I know there is no stress to him, and he will be delivered in a matter of minutes.  I asked my nurse at birthing class so many questions, and she was fabulous to discuss and answer them for me. :)

As of right now, my date is December 17th. I will go for pre-op blood work on December 14th.  This many sound utterly selfish, but it is a slight relief that I know we will be home and settled before Christmas.  Christmas is such a busy few days for us. The girls are of course from a split home, so they have so many places and people to visit. I am so happy that they don't have to change and always have to work around Ty and vice versa. Plus, I was worried about having Ty on Christmas eve or Christmas because I want him to know and love the real reason for Christmas. Not that it is also his birthday. Selfish I know, but emotionally, it will work so much better.

If, when I go in for my next measuring ultrasound, Ty is measuring even larger, we will move my section up 5 days to the 12th. I will be 38 1/2 weeks at that time. Also, if at 36-37 weeks I am dilated in any way, we may try to have him vaginally.  That decision will be made at that time.

I am so blessed that God would allow us to be the parents of this little boy. As nervous and stressed out as I was in the beginning, I know in the end, when it is all said and done, I will have my precious baby in my arms.  The recovery may be longer, but I'm not worried about that.

Please keep my baby, husband, and I in your prayers as we embark on this journey.  It is so hard to believe that it will be upon us so quickly!  Will update as my date nears!

No comments:

Post a Comment