About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Jan 18, 2013

When life gives you snow, make cream!

photo credit


One of my fondest memories growing up was when it snowed. Yes I loved sledding with my brothers, having snowball fights with the neighbor kids (we had a neighborhood full!) But one of my fondest was making snow cream! Something about this sweet goodness just made snow days magical.  Apparently, this is a tradition in the south. After talking about it with several of my friends that live farther north, I learned they had never even heard of it! Oh, what a sweet introduction. <3

Now, people say don't use the fist snow of the year because it picks up pollutants on the way down. I say, if it's deep enough, go for it! I mean, I know I'm not the only one that would wait my turn to go down the sled hill and just pick up handfuls of snow and eat it. My girls do that and of course they, and I, did not care if it was the first snow! 

Well, it's not deep enough, so I won't be eating pollutants this time, but I thought I would share with you the famous snow cream recipe!

The recipe we always made growing up:

a lot of snow (we never measured)
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs vanilla
2 cups milk

Adjust all to taste, it's more of a yummy taste test than a measuring thing. :)

Mix all together and eat quickly because it melts fast!

This year, if it snows again, I am going to try Paula Deen's recipe! Yummy!

8 cups of snow
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all together and eat quickly

I think the sweetened condensed milk will give it that ice cream creaminess that it so needs. <3 Oh I hope it snows again!

Did it snow in your neck of the woods? Have you made snow cream before?





No comments:

Post a Comment