About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Aug 12, 2013

Vietnamese Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa

My husband and I have traveled to Virginia Beach twice. While we normally visit Myrtle Beach in SC, we absolutely love Virginia Beach. The board walk, the restaurants, the simplicity. Our favorite restaurant is Catch 31 (HERE). We love their lunch menu. We know we will not head to VA beach and not eat here. :) The first time we visited several years ago, I ate the fish tacos for lunch. They were delicious! They had a mayonnaise based sauce and were fabulous! So on our last trip, I decided to order the same. Little did I know, their menu had changed slightly. After talking with our waitress, she assured me that the new tacos were well worth the change......

She couldn't have been more correct. After gobbling up ALL of my tacos, she wrote down a copy cat recipe, not the actual recipe of course :). After making them at home, they tasted identical!

The recipe she wrote down


We love this, it is so simple, fresh, healthy and delish! Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:

Flour Tortillas (small)
Swordfish/mahi mahi/ or red snapper (the restaurant uses all 3, I used 2 filets of swordfish) *note* any 
          'non-flaky, steak-like' fish would work
hoisin sauce
slaw mix (asian cabbage slaw) 
Mango Salsa (recipe follows)
tortilla strips
sriracha (optional)

Mango Salsa: loosely followed THIS recipe, but replaced red pepper with tomato
Onion
Tomato
Cilantro
Jalapeno
Lime
Mango

Prepare mango salsa. Cook swordfish in a little butter in cast iron skillet for 5-7 minutes per side, or until done. Chop swordfish in 1 inch cubes and add back to pan (off of heat). Add enough hoisin sauce to just cover. Also, mix a little hoisin with the slaw mix, just enough to cover. (Their slaw is more pickled I believe, so I just marinated mine in the sauce) Hoisin can be overwhelming if you use too much. It is very sweet. 

Take tortilla and pour a slight bit of hoisin onto it. Add fish, slaw mix, salsa, a few tortilla strips, and fresh cilantro....enjoy! I also topped with sriracha which we love. If you do not like heat, do not use this. :)

Catch 31's is on top and mine on the bottom. I used less hoisin sauce to cut down on sugar. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment